2010 Robert Olen Butler Fiction Prize
Del Sol Press announces the Robert Olen Butler Fiction
Prize for the best short story, either published (in a periodical) or
unpublished, 2000-8000 words. We invite contest submissions from both
emerging and established writers. In keeping with the philosophy of Web
del Sol, we are only interested in the very best fiction, regardless of
source or type.
Our judge for the 2010 year of the competition will be Pulitzer Prize-winning
author Robert Olen Butler.
The winning story and ten finalists will be published in book form in Summer
A $1,200 honorarium, paid in June 2010, publication
in a Fall 2010 Del Sol Press anthology, and 20 copies of the anthology
that features their story.
- Writers who are at least 18 years of age and who live inside or outside
the United States.
- Translations are not eligible; stories must be in English.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable (as long as you
let us know immediately if the manuscript is accepted for publication
elsewhere, in which case it must be withdrawn unless it will be published
before April 2009).
- Multiple submissions are accepted; include a separate reading
fee with each.
- Employees, volunteers and board members of Web del Sol, or their partners
or spouses, or their immediate families, or immediate family of the
judge are not eligible.
- Deadline (postmark): April 5, 2010
- Stories must be between 2000 and 8000 words.
- $16.00 contest fee for the first story and $5.00 for each additional story. Please make checks out to Web Del Sol.
- Include two cover pages: one with your contact information (phone,
email, address, where the story has been published if it has been previously
published), and one with the title of your submission (minus your name).
Your name should not appear on the manuscript itself. Manuscripts are
- Type or word-process on standard white paper, on one side of the page
- Paginate consecutively.
- Staple or paper clip/binder clip, or put it in a separate folder with
your name on the outside of the folder.
- We will consider unpublished stories as well as stories that have
appeared in periodicals (not if they have appeared as part of a
story collection, however), provided that the author can obtain reprint
- Include a stamped, self-addressed postcard for notification of receipt
of manuscript if you want notification.
- Please keep a copy of your entry. Manuscripts not selected for publication
will be recycled.
Postmark dates between October 1, 2010 and April 5, 2010. Manuscripts
received outside of these dates will be returned unread. Mail entries to:
Katie Jean Shinkle, Contest Coordinator
Robert Olen Butler Short Fiction Prize 2009
PO Box 1550
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
- Queries to Katie Jean Shinkle, Contest Coordinator. Email: ROBContestDSP
"at" gmail.com (replace "at" with @).